BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Daddy will do it!


 My daughter has an unyielding faith in her father. The other day a rather large spider was on the back porch. As a grown woman who is almost 1000% percent larger than creepy crawling intruder, I quickly ran in the house screaming like the kid from Home Alone. But my daughter, took a peak out the sliding glass door that I had slammed shut at the little spider and then looked up at me. In the cutest voice with her hands gesturing for me to calm down, she said “Don’t worry mom, Daddy will fix it.” 
For the rest of the day I watched her completely ignore the spider as she walked past it to go outside and play. She could care less that it was spinning a web in the corner of the screened patio.  When her father awoke, she pointed it out to him and watched as he smashed it to oblivion. She then turned to me and said “see mom, daddy took care of it.” Then she quickly went back to playing.
At first glance, one may think that my daughter simply trusts her dad because he is father. But this is not true. She trusts him because he has been consistently reliable – in other words he earned her trust. You can set your watch by his schedule. We all know when he is going to arrive home and leave for work each day. We know that he is the defender of our home from all things creepy crawly like spiders and ants…. And against the big things like robbers, murderers, and monsters that hide under the bed.
Some believe that faith and trust is blind, but I beg to differ. I know that I can trust my husband because he has proven himself over and over again. I am an advocate of people improving themselves and turning over a new leaf. Change can happen. But it must come from a fully made up mind and loads of self-discipline. What a person does with the least, he will do with “the much.” When establishing trust it is best to start small and observe a person’s commitment to their word.
Has someone ever told you to trust them, but has a track record of failure? How did you handle this? Who do you trust?

0 comments: